The Christian Homeschool Association of Pennsylvania (CHAP) is looking for an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual to be responsible for the implementation of the annual convention including pre-event planning through post-event completion. The candidate for this position needs to be extremely organized, detail oriented, with strong oral and written communication skills. They must have the ability to work quickly and efficiently on several projects at one time, are results oriented, have strong time management skills and work enthusiastically in a constantly changing environment. In addition, the candidate will demonstrate an excellent command of computer skills including proficiency in all Microsoft Office products.
The ideal candidate will be in charge of all convention staff, appoint coordinators into key positions, help select speakers, workshops and other activities, take charge in negotiations with the event venue, supervise pre-registration and onsite registration, oversee the convention work exchange program and volunteers, oversee printing of the schedule of events, and other details related to running a successful convention. This is a very special and pivotal position within CHAP as the convention is often the first contact for many people with our organization.
The candidate for this position will have the knowledge and ability to successfully complete space reservations, travel and hotel reservations, badge ordering, ordering event rentals and other services, shipping of materials, and the coordination of set-up and tear-down of events. They will also lead the collection and facilitation of post-event evaluations.
This position reports to the CHAP Board Chairman.
The position is located in Palmyra, PA and is a full-time, year-round, paid position with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate the annual convention.
- Implements all assigned event activities (pre-event planning through post-event completion)
- Select, train, and lead a team of volunteer convention committee chairs
- Conduct regular meetings with the convention committee and maintain the minutes
- Maintain documentation for all activities, and job descriptions
- Ensure insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are adhered to.
- Maintain a calendar of activities/timelines
- Oversee timelines, ordering, and logistics.
- Monitor and control the budget for the convention
- Research and select venues, vendors, speakers, and other resources.
- Oversee changes to online forms for managing registration, vendors, volunteers, and other related features.
- Prepare backup and contingency plans
- Establish event registration prices for attendees and vendors
- Work with the treasurer to implement a budget for the convention
- Work with caterers, venues and other vendors to negotiate contracts and determine event cost.
- Create an event marketing plan to include print, email, web, and social media.
- Implement the event marketing and communication plan
- Work with copywriters, graphic designers and webmasters to create print and Web communications used before, during and after the event.
- Coordinate advertising for print and web, and the convention brochure
- Secure sponsorships for events
- Arrange hotel reservations for key speakers and board members
- Arrange airport pickup/drop-off and meals for main speakers (traditionally done by board members)
- Arrange catering as appropriate
- Arrange supplies and equipment for speakers, vendors and workshop leaders for the day of the event.
- Ensure that all vendors are registered with appropriate booths
- Orders badges, venue rentals, and other materials and services needed for the event and ensures that all items are sent to the site.
- In charge of everyone working on the event
- Ensure event is properly staffed
- Resolve problems that surface(find replacements when someone cancels)
- Coordinates and ensures all event related materials (i.e. backdrop mural, banner stands, table cloths, etc.) are brought to each event
- Assists with the maintenance of the event materials and products
- Ensure that all work is being carried out to specifications and deadlines
- Coordinates set-up and tear-down of events
- Make sure that the vendors get back equipment that was borrowed
- Work with the bookkeeper to ensure that all staff, speakers, vendors, and bills are paid
- Leads the collection and facilitation of post-event evaluation
- Prepare statistical reports and analyze effectiveness of the event
- Agree to the CHAP Statement of Faith
- 1-3 years total professional experience
- 6-12 months experience in trade show and event planning environment preferred
- Highly organized and motivated—maintain organization, and take ownership, of multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to take charge and be decisive. This individual will be the “Go To” person for all events.
- Ability to lead a team of key volunteers.
- Ability to write and prepare from standard to complicated written materials, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions by managers, customers, and the general public.
- Excellent command of computer skills including proficiency in all Microsoft Office products, experience in graphics programs a plus.
- Highly detail oriented
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills including the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Apply analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service skills (phone skills, in person, email)
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues
- A high degree of responsibility, initiative and professionalism
- Must be travel enabled, including some weekends
- Must be able to work overtime as needed